1.18.2008

January 18th, 2008

1. How many Muslims live in Britain? (Go here for the answer).
According to this link (Wikipedia), 1,591,000 Muslims live in Britain.

2. How many Hindus live in Britain? (Go here for the answer).
According to this link (Wiki answers), 500, 000 Hindus live in Britain (estimated in 2000).

3. Check my answers! Find the answers on some other website (tell us the website and link).

As for the Muslims, I found here:
Demographocs / Charts Census 2001 Data (Sala@m)
This says the total population of Muslims is 1.6 million (Census 2001 Data).
Also on the following Census 2001 website:
Religious Populations Christianity is main religion in Britain
1,588,890 Muslims live in Britain.

As for the Hindus, in this BBC article:
UK Hindus appeal for recognition
500,000 Hindus are the country’s third largest religious group, after Christians and Muslims.

On the entry here:
Hinduism in the United Kingdom(Wiki)
It tells the total population of Hindus in Britain is 558,342 (in the 2001 UK Census), also, The Hindu Forum of Britain has extrapolated this in 2006 to a figure of 750,000 Hindus based on the levels of immigration since 2001.

4. Check out Masa’s blog. Leave a comment (it will make him happy!) or ask a question (he will surely answer you in his next blog entry).

I left my comment on his newest entry.

*********
Today, we will be using Student Times and Catch A Wave magazines for reading about news in English.

Summary:
I chose an article “Asada Mao Wins Second Straight Title at National Championships” from Catch a Wave. It is about the Women’s event of the Japan Figure Skating Championships, Dec.26 to 28 at Namihaya Dome in Osaka, where 17-year-old Asaka Mao won the title for the second time. Ando Miki finished in second place and Nakano Yukari came in third place. The three will compete in the World Figure Skating Championships which will be held in Gothenburg, Sweden, in March.

My impression:
I watched this event from start to finish and was so impressed that all competitors performed brilliantly. As for the women's part, my favorite skator is Nakano Yukari. So I was delighted she could finish in third place and got the ticket to the World Competition!! She is a great athlete who spares no effort to improve her skating technique. I'm very glad that her efforts was rewarded. As for my husband, his favorite is Takeda Nana. He likes Nana's smile very much. I love her smile, too! There is one thing I feel really sorry that a male skater, Oda Nobunari couldn't make his appearance in this event. I hope he will come back soon and show us his great performance!!

0 件のコメント: